Friday, June 17, 2011

Corporate Mayhem!

Last night I participated in the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge.  I knew going in it was going to be a large crowd (15,000 to be exact), bigger than any Ive dealt with.  I guess I'm spoiled with how well organized the NY Road Runner races are organized and ran that i ASSUMED that even though it would be a large crowd, i would be somewhat organized..  I WAS WRONG..

Got to my company's tent area at around 6:15 and didn't see anyone I knew, so I just grabbed a couple snacks since I hadn't eaten dinner (bag of peanuts and a banana with a Gatorade G2) then headed over to the cattle call, i mean start area around 6:40.




This was the only pic that was taken during the race, because my wife had a hard time getting to the finish area and I certainly didn't want her anywhere near this mayhem!  People were bottle necked into the area, people kicking down fences, runners supposed to be in the front corral trying to squeeze their way thru the mass of people, not to mention some of the foul odors coming from some of the folks in the area.

As far as the race was concerned, this was my first time running a 3.5 mile race so I knew it was gonna be an auto PR, and since I was a little tired coming into the race and being aggravated from the start, I didn't expect my finish time to be all that great.

The course was pretty much a  reverse course of the 4 milers I ran in central park, and I prefer the course the other way.  This time you start out on the west side rolling hills and it just seemed like there was a lot more Uphill then when running the other way.  

Also since many of the people participating doesn't consider this competitive there are a lot of people who walk the entire thing, which isn't all that bad, but then you get 5-6 people walking together and getting around them sucks.

Anyways, not gonna drag this RR out much longer, my finish time was around 52:30 and almost a full minute off my best pace.

After the race they gave out finisher t-shirts, I was so aggravated with the whole thing I just wound up getting one for my wife, cause I didn't even want it!

Definitely NOT running this next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment